Sunday, November 11, 2012

Analyzing Ermenegildo Zegna’s Catalogue



This is a catalogue that I got access to through my father’s store. I decided to go through it and just analyze it. This is a rather important phase for my research because it will help me decide how I want my catalogue to look like, this can show me what I might want to include and what I might not want to include in mine. This catalogue is promoting their new collection and use of new materials. The cover is rather simple; all that is written on it is the brands name “Ermenegildo Zegna.” When opening the cover the first page also simply just says the brands name with a light background. I think that they used a light background to maybe make the brands name stand out. Also because this new collection is about the use of light materials therefore using a light background makes perfect sense. The second and third pages are one image together where they don’t use model. It is a picture of just clothing set up nicely to show what the brand is all about. There is as a small paragraph written which talks about this season’s collection; what it is all about, what it includes and so on. Until page 23 there is a mixture of pictures of models and simply just clothing and accessories. A few of the pages have writing on them put not all. When there is writing included it is not much, it’s a small paragraph if not just a caption. From page 2 until 23 it is the first section of the catalogue, which talked about “The COOL EFFECT Wardrobe.” Continuing the catalogue from page 24 to page 42 is the second section, which talks about “The LIGHTSTYLE Wardrobe.” It continues with a mixture of outfits on models and just pieces of clothing and accessories. In the entire catalogue there are 30 outfits that are pictured on models. Although there are 30 outfits the photographer for example took a picture of the full outfit and then maybe with that exact outfit zoomed and focused on the belt. There are 14 pictures of accessories without being on models. Wallets, belts, cufflinks, scarfs, pocket scarfs and bags are the things that I classified under “accessories”. There are 6 pictures of only shoes, some of the pictures have two different pair of shoes in two different colors meaning that there are 4 shoes two that are the same but are in different colors. Lastly, there are 5 pictures of only clothing. This meaning that there can be just a shirt hanging on a chair for example. To summarize there are 30 pictures with models photographed with different outfits and there are 29 pictures with out any models photographing shoes, accessories and clothing. There are 62 pictures in the entire catalogue, the remaining ones are of items that have been zoomed in and focused on more. The last 5 pages of the catalogue contain lists of countries and cities where there are Ermenegildo Zegna stores. The inside of the closing page has a QR code that when scanned takes you to the video of the runway fashion show of the collection that has just been promoted.

This catalogue has showed me what I will need to do and what I will want to do as a photographer of the photo-shoot. I like the idea of having a mixture of pictures with people and without people; another thing that I liked about his catalogue is the fact that you can have two pictures of the same outfit from different angles and different close-ups. These two things I would like to include in my final catalogue. Another thing that I liked is the amount of writing it has, it is not too much but no too little. Having writing in my opinion is rather an important fact because it finalizes the idea. This meaning that by having only pictures each person can interpret it differently but having a small caption or small paragraph there is a guideline on what it is actually about. The catalogue, page by page is set up in a simple organized manner. This is something that I had already wanted to have in mine because I’m a very organized person and I don’t like having picture overlapping and etc. Lastly, something else that I would like to include is the QR code at the back. Although instead of it linking to a video I was thinking that it could link to either and electronic version of the catalogue, the brands website or something that I am more keen on is it linking to an online survey that would help me see if I did a good job or not.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment